Monday, January 16, 2012

Found

Day #8 - Take an old book and change it, cut it up, glue it together.

My initial instinct was to do this literally - and I've seen some beautiful creations that have come about through that method - but I let the idea marinate for a while and came up with a different plan, partly because I didn't feel like I'd have enough time and partly because I didn't actually want to hunt for a book I felt okay destroying.

Instead, I recalled a technique I'd utilized in college: found poetry. So I went to Project Gutenberg online and found a book entitled How to Analyze People on Sight by Elsie Lincoln Benedict and Ralph Paine Benedict, originally published in 1921 and now in the public domain. I pulled out and reorganized phrases directly from the text, making very few amendments, which are noted in brackets ([ ]). Even the title of the poem is a section heading.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please offer only positive praise - this site belongs to our whole family (including our young children) and we'd prefer to be able to share all the comments. Gracias!