Sunday, January 22, 2012

Mini Nature

Day 14 - Make something microscopic.

Okay. I'll admit that I toyed (albeit very briefly) with the idea of crocheting using human hair instead of thread. There are some steel hooks hiding in my house somewhere and they are meant for working with thread (to crochet lace) (not that I've ever done that) but I couldn't locate them amongst the other missions I had to accomplish today. Instead I considered what's the tiniest I am able to work in my primary medium with the tools and materials I have readily available?

Answer: A "B"-sized aluminum crochet hook and size 5 embroidery floss.

Coincidentally, one of my missions this day was to attend the first birthday party for a friend's daughter. This friend crochets too and digs crocheted stuff and does not dig toys that do lots of beep-bop-booping so I thought a little handmade pretty that would satisfy both my daily art project and the not-requisite-but-appreciated gift was perfect. I made the beaded hair band then decided it needed a little pouch (to which I added a drawstring after this photo). It looked adorable in the wee babe's hair and her mum inquired after the possibility of my making more for her to sell. Yay!

After I returned home from the festivities, I made an even smaller hair band sans beads to use up the remainder of the skein of thread. You can get a sense of it's size from the quarter sitting in its center.

P.S. - I can't, for whatever reason, swap the order of the photos using only the Blogger app on my phone and I don't feel like hunting up a full-sized computer since I'm already in bed so that's why the one with the quarter appears first. Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please offer only positive praise - this site belongs to our whole family (including our young children) and we'd prefer to be able to share all the comments. Gracias!