Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Morning Offering

Day #9 – Make something with your breakfast before you eat it.
At some level, all of the art I create, no matter the form, becomes a meditation for me. The largest piece I ever crocheted was a meditation on forgiveness and letting go of anger and meant as an instrument of healing for its recipient. Last night, at my friends’ home, I was given the opportunity to borrow a lovely, well-used deck of meditation cards called The Power Deck written by Lynn Andrews and illustrated by Rob Schouten. As I often do with similar decks, I began looking through the images without reading any of the text. The one that so thoroughly caught my eye that I ceased thumbing through the deck was #4 – Offering. When I went to the artist’s site, I found that the painting is called “Oblation”, which is defined as a charitable gift given, often within a religious or spiritual context, without any self-serving motivation.
Borrowed with gratitude: "Oblation" by Rob Schouten

Therefore, my art “offering” for today is a prayer nestled along with a bit of my breakfast. It’s a symbolic sharing of my morning meal with anyone on this Earthly plane who has a pure hunger, whether it be a need for actual food, the basic comforts of life, or simply unconditional love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please offer only positive praise - this site belongs to our whole family (including our young children) and we'd prefer to be able to share all the comments. Gracias!